Question: how can I protect my computer from viruses?
Viruses attack your computers and other internet ready devices in a variety of ways. A common method is by hiding the software in an attachment or a link in an email. Always think twice before clicking on a link or attachment, even if you know the sender.
In addition, you may want to consider using a free software tool or purchasing a tool to add a layer of protection to your computer. If you have a Mac instead of the Windows operating system, make sure you look at the product for compatibility.
What to look for in a tool:
1. Is it easy to use and install? Look for customer reviews.
2. Features included. Does it include antivirus, antimalware, and antispyware?
3. Never purchase a tool from a pop up ad, these are usually bogus packages
There are many free tools out there that do a great job. Two examples of those tools include:
1. Microsoft has a free scanner and removal tool at: http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx
2. Sophos also offers free tools at: http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools.aspx
You can also purchase tools. Some examples of software that you can purchase from vendors are McAfee, Norton, Panda and F-Secure. PC Magazine did a review of 2012 tools that you can read at: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp